With all 3,001 entries set to be judged in a single day, this year’s World Champion Cheese will be crowned at approximately 6pm in front of a live audience at London’s Tobacco Dock.
Before the anniversary festivities commence, the global curd community will gather for the serious business of tasting, nosing and grading cheeses from 35 different countries, assessing the ‘personality’ of each cheese, from its intrinsic flavour and complexity to the process and point of perfection. By the end of the day, the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Super Gold awards will all be handed out, providing tried and tested cheeseboard inspiration, just in time for Christmas.
A truly global cheese event…
• Largest international cheese competition on the planet, with 3,001 cheeses entered from 35 countries, including Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Columbia and South Africa
• More nations represented on the judging panel than ever before, with 230 experts coming from six continents and 29 different countries, including Australia, Brazil, Japan, South Africa and the USA
• Judging broadcast live across the globe on World Cheese TV
Some cheesy 30th birthday celebrations…
• Mathew Carver will be serving a truffled Macaroni Cheese, bubbling over with World Cheese Awards, at The Cheese Bar’s Taste of London Festive Edition restaurant, featuring some of last year’s top British winners; Ogleshield, Keens Cheddar, Lincolnshire Poacher and Berkswell
• Award-winning gelato maker, Swoon, is set to unveil two limited edition World Cheese Awards flavours, using World Champion Cheese 2014, Bath Blue, and the 2016 Super Gold winning Montgomery's Mature Cheddar
• 15 international ‘big cheeses’ to reveal their 15 up-and-coming stars of the future, from across the cheese world
A peek behind the rind…
• Special tasting of previous World Champion Cheeses on Thursday 16 November at 7.30pm in the AEG Taste Theatre
• Cheese tours around the judging hall with World Cheese Awards judges on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 November, including ‘How to eat cheese’, ‘The raw milk revolution’ and ‘When red wine fails’
• World Cheese Awards Deli open throughout Taste of London Festive Edition 2017, run by Rhuaridh Buchanan of Buchanans Cheesemonger
For more visit gff.co.uk/wca
Source: World Cheese AwardsAuthor: COX