Published today, SIG’s Corporate Responsibility (CR) Performance Update for 2019 explores key aspects of the company’s Way Beyond Good ambition, highlights its sustainability stories of the year, and reports progress towards its targets for 2020 and beyond.
Said Rolf Stangl, CEO of SIG: "Our packaging has delivered food safely to billions of people all over the world. We want to help shape a sustainable food system that gets the most from what it uses and gives more than it takes. To do this, we need to go further than we’ve ever gone before. We took some more big steps forward this year and the increased uptake of our most sustainable packaging solutions shows we’re using growth as a driver for good.”
Highlights in 2019
SIG continues to build on its track record of sustainable innovation and industry firsts. Highlights this year include:
• Launching the world’s first Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) labelled packs and the first aseptic carton packs with all three key materials from certified sources – paperboard, plant-based polymers and aluminium foil
• Increasing uptake of SIG’s most sustainable products, such as SIGNATURE PACK and combibloc EcoPlus
• Introducing the first paper straws for carton packs – first straight and then U-shaped
• Accelerating the timeline to cut greenhouse gas emissions from SIG’s business – by 60% by 2030 – with a new 1.5°C target approved by the Science Based Targets Initiative
• Engaging in new recycling partnerships around the world, including the innovative so+ma programme that is rewarding consumers in Brazil for recycling
• Turning food loss into over 9,200 school meals for underprivileged children in Bangladesh in the first year of the Cartons for Good programme run by the SIG Way Beyond Good Foundation
• Achieving a Platinum rating from EcoVadis that puts SIG in the top 1% of businesses for sustainability.
The CR Performance Update includes a series of stories from the year, which bring to life some of the ways that SIG is realising its ambition to go Way Beyond Good for society and the environment.
The company is focusing on driving progress in the areas where it can make the biggest difference: helping forests thrive, tackling climate change, driving sustainable product innovation, contributing to a circular economy and delivering safe nutrition.
To pursue these opportunities, SIG is building on strong foundations. It is committed to doing business ethically, buying responsibly, supporting its people and keeping them safe, and partnering with communities to help them thrive.
SIG’s CR Performance Update is transparent about progress against targets and includes an update on key performance indicators related to the company’s most material social and environmental issues. It also includes direct feedback from SIG’s external Responsibility Advisory Group, together with the company’s response.
The interim CR Performance Update complements SIG’s full CR reports, which are published every other year. It covers the same focus areas and most material social and environmental issues as SIG’s award-winning full CR Report for 2018, which includes more detail on the way we manage these issues. The 2018 CR Report was produced in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards. For more visit sig.biz/en/responsibility/way-beyond-good
Source: SIGAuthor: COX